This has got to be the most ‘asked for’ recipe by friends… it’s super simple, gluten-free and packed with chocolate (and ~4000 calories).
I originally found this recipe on the Healtheries website back in 2009, but since then it seems we both have modified it. They made it healthier by:
- Replacing the oil with butter
- Halving the number eggs
- Halving the cups of sugar
- Adding dried fruit/nuts
Whereas I made it chocolatier! Simply by:
- Replacing the 4 squares of chocolate with a whole block of a chocolate!
- 2 c caster sugar
- 1 c Healtheries Simple Baking Mix (Gluten Free) / or Plain Flour
- 2/3rd cup cocoa powder
- 1 Block of dark chocolate
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flavourless oil, eg rice bran, canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line an approx 22cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients into one bowl (and add chopped up chocolate)
- Mix all liquids with an egg beater
- Pour liquids into the dry ingredients bowl, mix well, and pop in the oven for 45 mins!
Do not overcook – it should still be a bit fudgy in the centre, I tend to leave it in the tin for ~10 mins after baking.