Following on from the Chocolate, Peppermint and Coconut Snacks post last week, this weeks snacks are these peanut butter snack balls. Again, they’re paleo, gluten free, dairy free and (refined) sugar free, which makes them a pretty guilt-free snack!
I found the original recipe over at Detoxinista and adjusted it slightly to cut out the store-bought chocolate (dairy/sugar). It’s a great chilled snack on the go, because of the coconut oil in the coating, it’s best you eat them straight from the fridge.
Balls (makes 20-25):
- ¾ cup natural crunchy peanut butter (preferably organic)
- ¼ cup honey (or half the amount, for agave)
- ½ cup coconut flour (I got mine from Bin Inn)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 c Cacao powder (sifted)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp honey (or half the amount, for agave)
or, if you aren’t following Paleo, just replace 1c Cacao powder with ½ block of your favourite chocolate (melt in microwave first).
- Make the balls
- Mix all the ball ingredients in a bowl.
- Make Tablespoon sized balls on greaseproof/baking paper.
- Pop in freezer for about 4 hours (I leave mine overnight).
- Make the coating
- Mix the coconut oil, cacao powder and sweetner in a bowl (or melted chocolate and coconut oil, depending on your option).
- Dunk each ball in the mixture, I found the longer I rolled it around in the mixture, the thicker the coating was (some I dunked twice for extra thickness).
- Place the balls back on the frozen plate once coated, they’ll set in about ~10 seconds.
- Store in the fridge (or freezer for longevity).